Tuesday, December 9, 2008

After Dark

As i crept up to the bed i saw slight movement. Shadows are the only opaque colors seen on the walls and floor. moonlight was the only light seen all through the dimly lit room. For a moment, I thought that she realized that something was a miss. In her sleep, the thought kept coming in her head. Someone is here. Someone or something is in the room with me.

Being that she lives alone in her one bedroom apartment, alone and away from familiar faces and friends, occasionally she feels that she may not be alone at nights. Brought up superstitiously, she took all appropriate measures to be safe from unseen things and those that go bump in the dark. I noticed the chair being flipped, facing down and all four feet were facing the doorway. Then I also noticed the sliced limes on the window frames and coarse salt hanging in plastic bags in the corner of the living room. At first thought, this chick is too much of a challenge and to much of a hassle. I could pick off easy targets on the streets at night. Drunk kids, stressed-out teens and prowling drag-queens. But there was something about her that had a reverse effect on me. Usually I'm the one who hypnotizes and seduces my "vics" but this time, it could be her innocence that captivated me. Her big round eyes, covered half-way by the lazy eyelids. sexy as they may be, the sadness that haunts her gives her the slightly broken smile. Stressed from work, she sticks to her routine every night. She comes down from the office and heads straight to the subway. On the way up close to her apartment she stops by the corner store to buy a few drinks and one magazine. Each night one magazine. Then she just heads up to her apartment.

The first night i followed her home, is a whole different story............

No comments: